The School of Arts and Sciences is the first school of every undergraduate at UR. We welcome students to courses of discovery and creation, through 22 departments and 11 interdisciplinary programs.
- Denny Presentation
Dr. Jory Denny will present his paper, "Dynamic Region-biased Rapidly-exploring Random Trees," at the Twelfth International Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics (WAFR) in December. This is one of the top conferences in the robotics field.
- Bowie Article
Dr. Jennifer Bowie (with John Szmer, University of North Carolina – Charlotte and Donald R. Songer, University of South Carolina) recenlty published "Party Capability and the U.S. Courts of Appeals: Understanding Why the ‘Haves’ Win” in the Journal of Law and Courts.
- Bowie Article
Dr. Jennifer Bowie (with Elisha Carol Savacak, Elon University) recently published “A Bottom-Up Account of State Supreme Court Opinion Writing” in Justice System Journal.
- Bowie Named Editor
Dr. Jennifer Bowie was recently named as the new editor of the Law and Politics Book Review, which is sponosred by the Law and Courts Section of the American Political Science Association.
- Milby Award
Dr. Tammy Milby was recongized with the 2016 Jones-Day Faculty Involvement Award from the Virginia State Reading Association. This award recognizes college and university faculty who demonstrate involvement and leadership in PK-12 literacy in the state.
- Ashe Book Recognition
Dr. Bert Ashe's book Twisted: My Dreadlock Chronicles, was named a finalist in the non-fiction category of the Library of Virginia's Literary Awards.
- Bukach Grant
Dr. Cindy Bukach is the lead investigator in a collaborative project recently funded by the National Science Foundation, “Preparing Undergraduates for Research in STEM-Related Fields Using Electrophysiology.”
- Hanaoka Book
Dr. Mimi Hanaoka recently published her first book, Authority and Identity in Medieval Islamic Historiography: Persian Histories from the Peripheries, which explains themes and literary strategies that “centered” texts from “peripheral” regions in medieval Persia.
- Hilliker Article
Dr. Angie Hilliker, Audrey Kindsfather, '15, and colleagues from Case Western University published "Coupling between the DEAD-box RNA helicases Ded1p and eIF4A" in eLife.
- Love Fellowship
Joanna Love received the American Association of University Women's American Postdoctoral Fellowship, supporting work on her book, Soda Goes Pop: Pepsi-Cola Advertising and Popular Music, 1939–2012.
Scholarship Repository Readership
The University of Richmond's Scholarship Repository shares faculty publications with a world-wide audience. The map below shows where articles from arts and sciences faculty are being read around the globe.
Dean Rankine's Colloquy Speech
- Visiting Pompeii: Travelers' Impressions of the Ancient TownOct266:00 PM - 8:00 PMLecture presented by Carol Mattusch, Mathy Professor of Art History, Emerita, George Mason University, Fairfax,... Continue reading
- Deconstructing HealthOct228:30 AM - 2:00 PMThinking about a career in the healthcare industry? Don’t miss this opportunity to learn about clinical and... Continue reading
- Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Mark Twain's AmericaOct266:00 PM - 7:30 PMFrom Tom Sawyer’s pranks to Huckleberry Finn’s decision to “light out” in order to escape the... Continue reading
- Paul Hanson, pianoOct267:30 PMThis program features 20th-century French music, including works by Debussy, Messiaen, and Boulez.
- UR Schola Cantorum + Women's ChoraleOct303:00 PMSchola Cantorum and University Women’s Chorale present a varied program of accompanied and a cappella works that... Continue reading
- Martin Agency Information SessionNov017:00 PM - 8:00 PMMartin Agency representatives will be hosting an Information Session to talk with students about what it's like to work... Continue reading
- Peace Corps Information TableNov0210:30 AM - 2:00 PMPeace Corps will be hosting an Information Table/Meet and Greet to talk with students about opportunities with their... Continue reading
- Mediterranean Crossings: Borders, Islands, Bodies and the Making of a New ArchiveNov023:00 PM - 4:30 PMThe Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures welcomes Dr. Simona Wright from The College of New Jersey.... Continue reading
- Children of the Holocaust: A Survivor's StoryNov024:30 PM - 6:00 PMThe Department of Political Science welcomes Sam Ponczak from the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.... Continue reading
- Peace Corps Information SessionNov026:00 PM - 7:00 PMPeace Corps will be hosting an Information Session/Panel which members will talk about their experiences with the... Continue reading
Office of the Dean
School of Arts & Sciences
Boatwright Library Administration Wing
28 Westhampton Way
University of Richmond, VA 23173
Office: (804) 289-8416
Fax: (804) 289-8818