The School of Arts and Sciences is the first school of every undergraduate at UR. We welcome students to courses of discovery and creation, through 22 departments and 11 interdisciplinary programs.
- Ross Book
Dr. Bill Ross recently published Introduction to Model Spaces and their Operators.
- Kordzaia Concerts
Alexander Kordzaia performed for the second time at Carnegie Hall's Weill Recital Hall, conducting the American Youth Harp Ensemble and Virginia Choristers.
- Downey Article
Dr. Wade Downey and his undergraduate researchers recently published articles in the European Journal of Organic Chemistry and the Journal of Organic Chemistry.
- Quintero Lab Articles Dr. Omar Quintero, along with colleague Christie Davis and several undergraduate researchers, has published two articles in the latest issue of Cytoskeleton. Their photo was also selected for the cover of the issue.
- Sznajder Lee Book
Aleksandra Sznadjer Lee recently published, Transnational Capitalism in East Central Europe's Heavy Industry, which examines the post-communism reform of state-run industries in Eastern Europe.
- Ferman Film
Dr. Claudia Ferman recently screened her short film, "LASA, 50 Years of Continuous Dialogue and Action,” at the United Nations.
- Davis Lecture
Dr. Jim Davis recently gave a lecture, "Apple vs. Samsung: A Mathematical Battle," at the Institute for Mathematical Sciences at the National University of Singapore.
- Seeley Fellowships
Dr. Samantha Seeley has received two prestigious fellowships, from the Newberry Library in Chicago and the Gilder Lehrman Center for Slavery, Resistance, and Abolition at Yale University. Both awards will allow her to conduct further research on her book about forced migrations of free people across the Mid-Atlantic, Upper South, and Ohio Valley in the fifty years after the American Revolution.
- Parish Receives National Mentorship Award
Dr. Carol Parish has received the 2016 Goldwater Scholars Faculty Mentor Award.
- McGowen Professorship
Dr. Ernest McGowen has been invited to be a visiting assistant professor in Race and Ethnicity at Georgetown University for the 2016-17 academic year.
Scholarship Repository Readership
The University of Richmond's Scholarship Repository shares faculty publications with a world-wide audience. The map below shows where articles from arts and sciences faculty are being read around the globe.
Arts & Sciences Events
- Rodin Lecture and Piano DuetAug246:00 PM - 8:30 PMPiano Duet by Joanne Kong and Paul Hanson, faculty, Department of Music, University of Richmond, and Rodin lecture by... Continue reading
- Rodin Exhibition Walk-ThroughAug2511:00 AM - 11:30 AMJudith Sobol, Executive Director of the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Foundation, will present a walk-through the... Continue reading
- Lora Robins Gallery Open HouseAug261:00 PM - 3:00 PMCome to the Lora Robins Gallery of Design from Nature for an open house! Explore the museum's diverse collection... Continue reading
- David Esleck TrioSep077:30 PMDr. David Esleck and his trio bring the traditions ofthe jazz piano masters into a new era with a repertoire drawn... Continue reading
- Fall Spider Career ExpoSep0812:00 PM - 4:00 PMThe Fall Spider Career Expo allows students and alumni to connect with full-time and internship opportunities! Over 70... Continue reading
- Africa Week Lecture: The Role of African Languages in the U.S. Academy of the 21st CenturySep126:30 PM - 8:00 PMAs part of Africa Week, the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures welcomes Dr. Leonard Muaka who will... Continue reading
- Richmond Piano TrioSep147:30 PMRichmond Symphony concertmaster Daisuke Yamamoto and principal cellist Neal Cary join UR faculty pianist Joanne Kong in... Continue reading
- African Film WeekendSep163:00 PM - 9:00 PM12th Annual African Film Weekend ... Continue reading
- African Film WeekendSep178:00 AM - 4:00 PM12th Annual African Film Weekend ... Continue reading
- Body Politics, with author Roxane GaySep217:00 PM - 8:30 PMRoxane Gay, author and cultural critic, garners international acclaim for her social critique and exploration of... Continue reading
2016 Student Symposium
The 2015 Student Symposium featured nearly 230 student research presentations.
Office of the Dean
School of Arts & Sciences
Boatwright Library Administration Wing
28 Westhampton Way
University of Richmond, VA 23173
Office: (804) 289-8416
Fax: (804) 289-8818